Sunday, January 26, 2014

Airbrushing German Armor






Bolt Action is a 28mm WWII game published by Warlord Games. I believe it to be the closest thing to Warhammer 40k that the WWII crowd has ever had, in that one company publishes both rules and creates miniatures to match. The rules tend to be more abstract than a lot of historical rule sets created over the last 20 years, so the games are quick and action packed. Of course, you can bring tanks!

The picture at the top of the post is my progress on a set of German armor that I'm painting for a friend. I'm using Minitaire airbrush paints from Badger, which are designed to drip right into your airbrush hopper without needing to dilute them. Some colors work better than others . . .

For these vehicles I applied a base coat Dunkelgelb, which I had to mix! I used 10 drops of Craven Yellow, 2 drops of Saddle Brown, and 1 drop of Swamp Ground green. This made that odd brownish yellow that the Germans used on their tanks. The historical color actually varied in tone from month to month, so it's actually hard to get an exact replica of the color.

The reddish brown is straight Regal Red from the Minitaire line, followed by Swamp Ground for the green. I was actually able to airbrush the tank treads and tires from the Puma, though I will need to go back and touch it up with a brush.

I then coated all of the models with Future Floor Polish to give it a hard, glossy coat. The reason for this is that I'm going to apply some "black-lining" and weathering with oil paints, and the hard coat of gloss allows the oil paint to slide around better, and it protects the acrylic paint from being eaten away by the oil thinner.

After I'm done, the vehicles should look much better, something like this:

Notice the difference in lighting in both pictures, which also differs from how the colors look in natural lighting. I'm still working on my photography skills, but the above pictures at least uses a rudimentary light-box. I will take some more photos of the new models as I get more work done on them this week!






No comments:

Post a Comment